As a result I started to look for other ways to improve my sleep hygiene. Turns out there's a lot one can do. Here's my current set of tricks.
- Avoid blue light at night: f.lux, orange goggles an hour before sleep.
- Now that it's winter, bright white light in the day time.
- Melatonin (because gwern says so).
- No work or TV in the bed area.
- Always sleep with earplugs and an eye mask. In fact, I always keep earplugs and an eye mask on me, so that if I feel the need to nap on a flight or a train ride, I can at least make it more effective.
- No caffeine in the evenings. Week-long breaks from caffeine when work permits it, to re-build caffeine tolerance.
- No TV shows right before bed, because those generate adrenaline. Comedy has been the only exception for me.
Previous writing on somewhat related topics: Productivity and performance hacks, The calculus of caffeine consumption.